Lasix® is used as a drug in the diuretics group (water tablets).
Application areas of Lasix®
Lasix® is used for drainage in various diseases:
- Build-up of fluid in the tissue (edema) in heart / liver disease
- Build-up of fluid in the tissue (edema) in kidney disease
- arterial hypertension (High blood pressure)
- Fluid retention in the tissue (edema) in burns
Not applied Lasix® may be used at:
- allergy (Hypersensitivity) to the active ingredient Furosemide or another component of the drug
- Kidney failure without urine production (anuria)
- Liver failure With Impaired consciousness to coma
- severe lack of potassium
- severe lack of sodium
- decreased blood volume (hypovolaemia)
- Dehydration (Dehydration)
- during the Lactation
If it is not entirely clear how Lasix® is to be used, contact your doctor or pharmacist exact instruction to catch up. The dosage will individually adapted to the patient by the doctor and it always will be lowest possible dose applied.
Lasix® should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach whole with a glass of water. Unless otherwise prescribed, the dosage is:
At Fluid retention in the tissue (Edema) owing to Heart / liver disease Adults initially take 1 tablet (40mg furosemide) daily.
This is how no satisfactory urination achieved by Lasix®, the single dose is after 6 hours on 2 tablets (80mg furosemide) adapted. If this still does not achieve the desired amount of urine, it is increased to 4 tablets.
Under strict control and supervision, a Starting dose of 200mg Lasix® can be used.
In order to keep the effect, a maintenance dose of 1-2 tablets (40-80mg) taken daily.
Through the increased excretion of urine there is usually weight loss, which Do not exceed 1kg / day should.
At Edema by Kidney disease Adults initially take 1 Lasix® tablet per day. If the urine excretion is not sufficient, the single dose is increased to 2 tablets after 6 hours. A further increase in the dose to 4 tablets is also possible. Under medical assessment, a dosage of up to 200mg Lasix® is quite acceptable. After that is a Maintenance dose of usually 1-2 tablets (40-80mg furosemide) to be taken daily. Here, too, care should be taken that the resulting weight loss does not exceed 1kg per day.
Lies a nephrotic syndrome before, so must be due to a higher risk of side effects be dosed particularly carefully.
At Burns the daily or single dose is between 1 and 2 tablets (40-80mg furosemide) and can with impaired kidney function can be increased to up to 6 tablets (240mg Lasix®). Lies a Lack of fluid in the vessels before, so this must balanced before medication become.
At high blood pressure (arterial hypertension) 1 tablet daily (40mg furosemide) taken alone or with other drugs.
Use of Lasix® in children
Children usually receive 1-2 mg of furosemide per kilogram of body weight and day. A maximum dose of 40mg Lasix® / day not exceeded become.
If you suspect an overdose with Lasix®, a doctor should be informed immediately. This then leads any necessary countermeasures to treat the overdose.
It can lead to a too high dosage of the drug Lasix® decreased blood pressure (Hypotension) and Circulatory disorders (orthostatic dysregulation), Electrolyte imbalances or one Increase in pH in blood (Alkalosis) come.
If by the overdose too much fluid excreted it comes to drainage (Dehydration) of the body. Since too little blood then circulates in the body (hypovolemia), it can lead to Circulatory collapse and Blood thickening (Hemoconcentration) including the Tendency to thrombosis (Blood clots) coming.
In addition, if the dosage of Lasix® is too high, it can become too States of confusion (Delirium) due to rapid loss of water and electrolytes.
Side effects of Lasix®
Possible side effects of Lasix® can be:
- Decrease in blood platelets (Thrombocytopenia)
- Vincrease in certain white blood cells (Eosinophilia)
- Lower number of white blood cells (Leukopenia)
- Tendency to infection
- Itching, skin / mucous membrane reactions
- feverish conditions
- Inflammation of the blood vessels (Vasculitis)
- Inflammation of the kidneys (interstitial nephritis)
- severe hypersensitivity reactions (e.g. anaphylactic shock)
- Increase in blood sugar levels
- Increase in uric acid levels and thus to gout
- Increase in fat levels in the blood (cholesterol, Triglycerides)
- Hearing impairment
- Circulatory problems With a headache, dizzinessVisual disturbances, dry mouth, thirst, decreased blood pressure
- acute Inflammation of the pancreas, Biliary jam, Increase in liver values
- increased sensitivity to light
- Increase of Creatininethat is about the kidney must be eliminated
- Urinary flow obstruction can become more noticeable while taking Lasix®, in extreme cases Urinary retention.
Due to the way Lasix® works, it may also lead to a Electrolyte disturbance come. So introduces Sodium deficiency to:
- indifference (apathy)
- Calf cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling weak
A Potassium deficiency to:
- Muscle weakness
- pathologically increased feeling of thirst
- Pulse irregularities
- Intestinal paralysis
- Impaired consciousness or coma
A lack of calcium goes with one neuromuscular hyperexcitability hand in hand while it is at Magnesium deficiency to Tetany or Cardiac arrhythmias can come.
Lasix® for new and premature babies
When treating Premature babies can get through the medication Kidney stones or Calcium deposits in the tissue of the kidney form.
Lies a Respiratory distress syndrome both Premature babies before, treatment with Lasix® can lead to the vascular connection called Ductus arteriosus Botalli (The vessel that bypasses the pulmonary circulation before birth) does not close properly.
When taking Lasix® at the same time (Furosemide) and other medications can cause one Impairment of one or both drugs come. These include the following drug groups:
- Glucocorticoids, Carbenoxolone, laxative (reinforced Loss of potassium)
- anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs how Indomethacin and Acetylsalicylic acid) (Weakening of Lasix®, possible complication: acute kidney failure)
- Probenecid (Remedy for gout), Methotrexate (Anti-rheumatism drug) (Attenuation of Lasix)
- Phenytoin (against seizures and special forms of pain) (Attenuation of Lasix)
- Sucralfate (Gastric remedies) (Weakening of Lasix, therefore Take with a 2 hour break between)
- Cardiac glycosides (Increased effectiveness, possibly Cardiac arrhythmias, ECG changes)
- Salicylates (increased side effects)
- Antibiotics (e.g. Aminoglycosides, cephalosporins, polymyxins) (increased risk for Kidney damage)
- Aminoglycosides (certain antibiotics) (increased Risk of hearing damage)
- Cisplatin (increased risk of kidney and hearing damage)
- lithium (antidepressant) (increased Risk of heart and nerve damage)
- antihypertensive drugs (to massive lowering of blood pressure with subsequent symptoms)
- Theophylline (Asthma drug) and curare-like drugs (muscle relaxants) (increased effect)
- Antidiabetic drugs (weakened effect)
- antihypertensive agents (e.g. Epinephrine, Norepinephrine) (weakened effect)
- licorice (Food) (increased loss of potassium)
Warnings for Lasix®
Especially careful Lasix® should be stopped if one or more of the following factors apply:
- severely decreased blood pressure (Hypotension)
- Diabetes mellitus (manifest or latent)
- Obstruction of urine flow (e.g. at Prostate enlargement, Urinary stasis kidney, ureter constriction)
- Hypoproteinemiae.g. at the nephrotic syndrome
- Cirrhosis of the liver with kidney dysfunction
- Circulatory disorders of the vessels in the brain or the coronary arteries (coronary heart disease)
Especially with long-term treatment with Lasix®, it is important to determine certain blood values how
- uric acid and the
- Blood sugar
to check regularly.
Lasix® during breastfeeding
Since the active ingredient of Lasix® the placenta happened and thus also in the body of the unborn child can have an effect if it is taken during the pregnancy according to all possibilities avoid.
If the use of Lasix® cannot be avoided, it is the strictest Monitoring by a doctor necessary.
Lasix® also passes into breast milk and also inhibits its production. If breastfeeding is taking place, the drug must not be taken; it is only legitimate to take it after weaning.